Hearty Meals for All
Board Position Opening – Volunteer Legal Counsel
Hearty Meals for All aims to alleviate hunger and enrich the community by providing wholesome free meals, prepared by a professional chef, using locally-sourced produce, dairy and lean meats.
Hearty Meals For All was founded in 2009 and achieved non-profit status in 2012 (EIN: 46-1084248). Since our founding, the focus of Hearty Meals has been to turn community support into community outreach in the form of healthy meals served in our own neighborhood – an effort that continues today. To learn more about Hearty Meals For All, visit our website: www.heartymealsforall.org or our Facebook page, Facebook.com/HeartyMealsForAllHMFA.
Meals are served on the second Friday of every month in Davis Square, in a space generously donated by the Somerville Community Baptist Church. HMFA is a secular organization that collaborates with many local community groups. Unlike other congregate meals and soup kitchens, HMFA serves fresh, hot meals incorporating high quality meat, sourced directly from local farms using sustainable practices, and local and organic produce and diary whenever possible, all cooked by a professional chef. Our partnerships with local farms and businesses enhance our ability to provide the highest quality food each month. This is in-line with our belief that everyone in our community deserves to eat “real” food that is nourishing and delicious.
We provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere where individuals and families can enjoy their food, socialize and connect with others in their community. In addition to nutritious food, meals often include live music, SNAP registration and other outreach efforts. Many of our guests come every single month, developing meaningful connections with other guests and volunteers. Our entire program runs on the generosity and support of volunteers, in-kind donors, foundations, corporations, and individuals.
LEGAL COUNSEL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Hearty Meals for All is actively searching for a volunteer lawyer with experience in working with non-profits, and a passion for helping fight hunger to join our Board of Directors. The Board member will be responsible for the following:
- Maintenance/updates to the legal state and federal documentation and filings related to non-profit status including Massachusetts state registration docs, 501c3 docs, and upkeep of corporate records book bylaws, articles of incorporation, membership roster, etc.
- Manage completion and filing the annual taxes including federal income tax filings such as 990 and 1099s
- Oversee insurance policies and act as main contact with insurance broker
- Occasional ad hoc legal inquires as needed
- Attend quarterly Board meetings
- When possible, volunteer at monthly meals on the 2nd Friday of the month in Somerville, MA
- Time commitment: Estimated to be less than 5 hours per month
Questions & Contact Information:
Interested candidates – please send a cover letter and C.V to Board Member Molly Newman – email@example.com before Thursday, June 1st. If selected, we will be in touch to schedule an initial screening call with a member of the Board of Directors sometime in mid- to late June.